______________IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION______________
____________________ATHLETICS NOTES____________________ Join a Team and Make New Friends
____________________MARINER BULLETIN____________________ Friday, May 30, 2014
__SATURDAY SCHOOL__ LAST SATURDAY SCHOOL FOR THIS YEAR WILL BE HELD ON 5/31
- APTOS FOOTBALL'S 5TH ANNUAL STEAK & DOGS TONIGHT! JV'S AT 6:00 PM; VARSITY @ 7:00 PM. WHO WANTS STEAK!
- LOST NECKLACE...A student lost a necklace by the bleachers located by the swimming pool during the Senior Sunset pool party. This necklace is very special to the student and has tremendous sentimental value. The pendent has a violet colored crystal with silver sparkles. If found, please turn it in to Rose or Silvia in the office...no question asked. Thank you.
- Wow!...JOB OPPORTUNITY...We are so busy at the Boardwalk! We need more staff than usual to handle the record breaking crowds we’re seeing and have openings right now! It’s a excellent time for them to apply since we have so many openings.
- IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE YOUR VOICE HEARD IN THE ASB CLASS...about ideas related to the school or school activities, there is now an ASB Suggestion Box in the office. The ASB class would love to hear your ideas!
- AHS FILM FESTIVAL...Come and support AHS' Film Production and Art Classes on Friday, May 30th. Art reception starts at 6:00 pm and Film showing begins at 7:00 pm. Students/$5, Adults/$10.
NEED COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS?...
The Seacliff Improvement Association always need volunteers to help and would appreciate service from young people in our Aptos community. Please contact me to discuss how we may promote volunteering for our association and the appropriate way to work with interested students.
The Palo Alto Medical Foundation Santa Cruz will be holding their annual company picnic in the fall and this year they are holding a circus/carnival themed event. Committee members are reaching out to local schools to ask if there might be any students in need of fulfilling volunteer hours, who might be able and willing to help manage a booth at our picnic. The picnic is scheduled for Sunday, September 28, 2014 at Harvey West Park in Santa Cruz. The event will run from 11am-4 pm. Volunteers to arrive around 10:30 am in order to be assign booths and given instructions. They will provide lunch. for more information contact Ashley Romele at email@example.com
- INTERESTED IN APPLYING TO BE A STUDENT ATHLETIC-TRAINER FOR NEXT YEAR?...Applications are now being accepted. Please see Coach Dorfman in the Athletic Office.
- CABRILLO'S ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT IS OFFERING AN ENGR 5 CLASS...to high school and college students to learn more about a career in engineering. The course will expose students to engineering through the use of class discussions, videos, tours, speakers from industry and engineering design projects. The course will be offered in a 2-week format (July 7-17th, Monday thru Thursday) at Cabrillo from 9:30 am - 1:45 pm in Room 810. Students should register through Cabrillo's registration process to ensure that they get a spot in the class. For more information contact Jo-Ann Panzardi at 479-6497 or jp@Cabrillo.edu
Want to have fun while working this summer?... ECI,(http://new.eci-ca.org/en/) a local non-profit organization, has opportunities for families to host students from Japan this summer for...
1) July 20 to August 8 (3 weeks) OR
2) July 27 to August 10 (2 weeks)
ECI is also looking for AHS teens to work as conversation partners in June, July and up to mid-August. Work all or part of the summer. Stipends for hosting are provided to the families. Japanese students are in class M-F.
An ECI sponsored trip to Japan is also offered to families who host students over the summer. For more details and information, please contact Eriko Yokoyama at firstname.lastname@example.org
- MARINERS...Just a reminder that pulling a fire alarm will result in a 1-5 day suspension...AND a parent conference...AND Notification to the Fire Marshall...AND notification to law enforcement...AND restitution...AND a possible recommendation for expulsion...IN ADDITION a false alarm is a waste of school and public resources creates an unsafe educational environment. Please act responsibly Mariners!
SUPPORT...AHS is currently collaborating with Hospice to offer group grief counseling here on campus. The group will meet for counseling in room I-205 on Tuesdays from 1:30 to 2:50 pm. Individuals that require such services should first contact their guidance counselors to begin the intake process.If you require other types of support, please talk to a trusted adult, instructor or guidance counselor about counseling services through Pajaro Valley Prevention and Student Assistance (PVPSA). Counseling services are offered through PVPSA to individuals or groups and can begin as the result of a referral from an adult or student self–referral to a PVPSA counselor. Additionally, we are all excited to meet the new SAP counselor who is schedule to begin work with us starting Tuesday, April 1st. Her (name to follow) first priority will be to touch base with students that had been working with Shelly in the past and then offer her support to others as needed.
Mariners, Please be sure to monitor your own attendance. Tardy and attendance sweep notices are a courtesy not a requirement.
ATTENTION JUNIORS...PLEASE CHECK YOUR ATTENDANCE TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE UP-TO-DATE IN CLEARING ANY TARDIES OR ABSENCES YOU MAY HAVE. ANY TARDIES OR ABSENCES THAT ARE UNCLEARED BY THE END OF THE YEAR WILL ROLLOVER TO THE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR. REMEMBER IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR ATTENDANCE.
QUESTIONS'S ABOUT ATTENDANCE?...REMEMBER YOU ONLY HAVE 72 HOURS TO CLEAR YOUR ABSENCES AND TARDIES...please be sure to....
1. Please report to the attendance window and ask for a printout of your attendance,
2. Review your attendance record to determine the number of unexcused tardies or absences you have accrued. (Remember 5 unexcused absences = one Saturday School and 3 unexcused tardies = one after school detention)
3. Attend the appropriate number of Saturday School’s or after school detentions.
4. Check to see that you have been cleared from the list (updated weekly.)
5. And finally……talk with Mr. Moran or Rose about any concerns you might have
____________COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES____________
__________________GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT__________________ (Academic Support)
___________________CONGRATULATIONS___________________ Mariner Pride Winners
Show your SCHOOL PRIDE by wearing your MARINER WEAR every Friday for a chance to win $20.
- DRIVING & PARKING ON CAMPUS ALERT TICKETING IS IN EFFECT...Vehicles not adhering to all parking and driving regulations are subject to ticketing or towing!
ABSENCES MUST BE CLEARED WITHIN 72 HOURS 5 unexcusted absences equal 1 Saturday School so be sure to check your attendance on a regular basis. If you have 5 or more uncleared absences, just show up and sign in for Saturday School. Students are responsible for keeping track of their attendance.