__________________MARINER BULLETIN__________________ TUESDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2015
SATURDAY SCHOOL WILL BE HELD ON SATURDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2015
Detention is held on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:00 - 4:00 pm and on Wednesdays from 1:00 - 2:00 pm.
- Attention all baseball players not doing other sports: Weightlifting will start today, Tuesday, October 13th, from 3:30-5:00 pm in the weight room.
- Rachael Jones is the new advisor for the Debate Club. Club meetings will be held at lunch on Thursdays in room E-205.
- In some parts of the world, kids have very little hope for a good future. Running can provide them with a sense of independence and belonging. Donate to "Shoes for Sheba" so that Ethiopian kids can pursue running. Bring running equipment to the ASB room to support this amazing cause!
- If you have any new or gently used SAT, ACT, AP Exam or other exam prep books, please bring them to the ASB room E-101. Put them in the Equity Club box! Students would really appreciate these materials!
- Mar Vista will be holding their annual "Harvest Festival" on October 25th, and is still in need of student volunteers. 8 students are needed from 10-12 pm to set up; 8 students from 4-6 pm to break down; and 8 students to run booths from 12-4 pm. Hours can be split up into 2 hours if necessary. This is an opportunity to earn Community Service hours and have some fun! For more info email Mrs. Bechtold at [email protected]
* For every 3 tardies a detention must be served and for every 5 uncleared absences a Saturday School must be served. It is the student's responsibility to keep track of their attendance.
* REMEMBER MARINER STUDENTS... It is you responsibility to attend Saturday School if assigned. Students who fail to attend their assigned Saturday School will be assigned On-Campus Suspension or Out-of-School Suspension. Please check in at the Student Services Office if you have questions. Thank you. Mr Slyder
All students who do not have a 1st, 5th or 6th period class but are at school because of bus transportation must go to the library. Students may not “wander around” or “hang out” around the campus. Thank you for your cooperation
______________IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION______________
____________COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES____________
NEED COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS?
DO YOU HAVE AN INTEREST IN WORKING WITH CHILDREN, EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPENT, PR, MARKETING, OUTREACH OR EXHIBIT DESIGN?...THEN SPEND SOME TIME VOLUNTEERING AT THE SANTA CRUZ MUSEUM OF DISCOVERY. PLEASE SEE YOUR COUNSELOR FOR MORE INFORMATION!
I also am looking for someone for two hours every second Tuesday of the month to help with child care for our Home and School club meetings. Please let me know...Joy Flynn Wall (831)713-7856 [email protected]
Santa Cruz Public Library is looking for volunteers for their library. Contact Jason Pell, SCPL Assistant Volunteer coordinator at [email protected], 427-7700 x7615.
Are you great with technology? use your skills with technology and social media to assist seniors with their digital devices. For more info contact Desiree at [email protected] or call 427-5066. (Watsonville Hospital Senior Center, 75 Nielson Street, Watsonville)
Reading Buddies Project is looking for reading tutors for grades K-2 and is open to youth ages 11-18. For more info contact Desiree Farnal at [email protected] 427-5066.
- VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
- Non paid Hours completed at an agency or organization will count as Community Service.
Organization Contact Person Min. Age Volunteer Centers of Santa Cruz www.scvolunteercenter.org Adelante (AKA) La Manzana Community Saul Ramos/Olivia Martinez 724-2997, Ext. 202 16 City of Watsonville Site Administrator for each site N/A City of Watsonville Volunteer Program Watsonville Civic Plaza www.ci.watsonville,ca.us Application N/A Community Alliance w/Family Farmers Jenny Hansen 761-8507 or c/254-3112 N/A Elkhorn Slough Foundation Jack or Marian 728-2822 N/A Graffiti Removal Project Jerry Shanahan 722-7771 N/A Junior Volunteers Anna Amorim 722-6708 11 PV Children's Center Sandra/Christina 722-3737 12 PVUSD School Site Administrator at any school site N/A Salud Para La Gente Annette Grant 239-1796 N/A Santa Cruz County Fair Judy/Yvette 724-5671 16 Santa Cruz Outdoor Science School Dan Dickman 728-6390, Ext. 241 16 Second Harvest Food Bank Erika Flores 662-0991 14 Watsonville First United Methodist Church Rev. Robin Mathew-Johnson 724-4434 N/A YMCA Steve 728-9622 YwCA Thrift Shop Ginny 724-6078 YWCA Child Care 768-0900 16 YWCA McQuiddy Gail Knapp 763-0624 17 YWCA of Watsonville Mireya Gomez 724-6078, Ext. 104 16 Youth Center Juan Mendoza 728-6126 N/A
__________________GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT__________________ (Academic Support)
New Counseling Staff from PVPSA!
We just wanted to introduce ourselves; we're the new counselors from PVPSA. We are all really excited to be here to lend our support, insight, and caring to your personal journey this school year. ...more
___________________CONGRATULATIONS___________________ Mariner Pride Winners
Show your SCHOOL PRIDE by wearing your MARINER WEAR every Friday for a chance to win $20.
- DRIVING & PARKING ON CAMPUS ALERT TICKETING IS IN EFFECT...Vehicles not adhering to all parking and driving regulations are subject to ticketing or towing!
ABSENCES MUST BE CLEARED WITHIN 72 HOURS 5 unexcusted absences equal 1 Saturday School so be sure to check your attendance on a regular basis. If you have 5 or more uncleared absences, just show up and sign in for Saturday School. Students are responsible for keeping track of their attendance.