____________________ATHLETICS NOTES____________________ Join a Team and Make New Friends
__________________MARINER BULLETIN__________________ Monday, September 27, 2014
SATURDAY SCHOOL WILL BE HELD on September 27, 2014
- The school's internet will be suspended for all students who have not turned in the agreement form (page 1) of their Student Planner. Service will not be activated until it is turned into Mr. Slyder.
- ROBOTICS CLUB (ROB)...will be meeting on Tuesday, September 23rd, during lunch in D-200.
1. This week is a full week of HOMECOMING! Today is USA Monday. Proudly wear your red, white, and blue. Tuesday is tropical Tuesday; let's see some grass skirts and shells and hula dancing. Wednesday is socks and sandals; fashion never looked so good. Thursday is twin day and on Friday represent your class' Homecoming theme!
2. Come to the main quad to vote for your Senior Homecoming King and Queen this Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday at lunch!
3. Come to the main quad during lunch all week to watch and cheer on the homecoming court as they participate in activities!
4. Homecoming participants. Come to ASB room E101 with contact information regarding your float and convertible drivers ASAP!
NEED COMMUNITY SERVICE HOURS...Check the Community Service section below. Two new Items have been added.
- RED CROSS...is beginning their first year with a meeting on Thursday, September 25th, during lunch in room D-103 (ROP Med Tech room). It's a great source of community service and looks great on a college application. Come help AHS' Red Cross save lives and help the community.
- RISE ABOVE...will be holding their first meeting on Thursday, September 22nd, in Ms. Silver's room...E-204. Rise Above promotes a compassionate and welcoming school environment, bully awareness, participates in fundraising, food drives and has many volunteer hours students can gain. Come to meeting on 9/22 where there will be free cookies and we will begin discussing the club's future plans. Bring friends.
- AHS' COFFEE MUSIC TALENT SHOW...is right around the corner. All acts must attend dress rehearsal on Tuesday September 30th fro 3-6 pm. The show is on Thursday, October 2nd.
- ATTENTION ALL FRESHMEN...ASB is hosting a 9th grade only BBQ and Social this Thursday before the Freshmen football game. Bring $5 and get a Corralitos sausage, chips, cookie, drink and entry to the game! ASB has some fun surprises for you, so don't miss out on the chance to hang out with your cool classmates! Don't forget your $5! (9/16)
- Interested in finding out of ways to volunteer in your community?...Join Interact Club...go to Mr. Whitwam's room (C-106) during lunch to get more information..
____________COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES____________
- Jacob's Heart needs 10-15 student volunteers for their 5k race on Sunday September 28th at Seascape County Park. If you need community service hours, please contact Trinity Magas-Barnard at 831-419-1714 or email her at [email protected].
- The librarian at Minte White Elementary is in need of volunteer help. If you need community service hours, see Cheryl in the library for more information.
- Friends of Hospice will be hosting their annual Oktoberfest on Sunday, October 5, 2014, at the Elks Lodge in Santa Cruz. All proceeds from the event will benefit Hospice of Santa Cruz County. We are looking for volunteers to help with this event. We will need some students to assist with our computer check out process, students who can load merchandise, and students who can aid in the various clean up chores after the event. Student volunteers will be expected to work in 3 to 4 hours shifts between the hours of 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Any help that Aptos High students can give us will be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact me at (831) 688-0670 or via return email. Thank you, Shirley Pickle...Friends of Hospice (10/3)
__________________GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT__________________ (Academic Support)
1.. Odenza Marketing Group Scholarship - $500 – 1 Award (Deadline: September 30, 2014)
A) Be between the ages of 16 and 25 on September 30th, 2014
B) Submit answers to the essay questions, which can be found on the application page, prior to the September 30th, 2014 deadline.
C) Have at least one full year of post secondary studies remaining at the time of the award. (Current High School Students are also eligible.) Applications can be found by going to:
2. QUESTBRIDGE SCHOLARSHIP IS HERE FOR SENORS WHO ARE ACADEMICALLY STRONG AND COME FROM FINANCIALLY CHALLENGING HOUSEHOLDDS. Please see your counselor for more information. . Deadline for referrals is September 15th.
New Counseling Staff from PVPSA!
We just wanted to introduce ourselves; we're the new counselors from PVPSA. We are all really excited to be here to lend our support, insight, and caring to your personal journey this school year. ...more
___________________CONGRATULATIONS___________________ Mariner Pride Winners
Show your SCHOOL PRIDE by wearing your MARINER WEAR every Friday for a chance to win $20.
- DRIVING & PARKING ON CAMPUS ALERT TICKETING IS IN EFFECT...Vehicles not adhering to all parking and driving regulations are subject to ticketing or towing!
ABSENCES MUST BE CLEARED WITHIN 72 HOURS 5 unexcusted absences equal 1 Saturday School so be sure to check your attendance on a regular basis. If you have 5 or more uncleared absences, just show up and sign in for Saturday School. Students are responsible for keeping track of their attendance.
UPCOMING MARINER PARENT EVENTS
______________IMPORTANT SENIOR INFORMATION______________
Please check the Guidance Section below for available scholarships.